Social media users in Indonesia are increasing today. Young adults aged 18 to 24 years old dominate around 39% of active Instagram users in Indonesia. The purpose of this study is to understand the way couples use Instagram in developing their romantic relationships and in reducing their uncertainty at the initiating stage of relationship development. The method used in this research was qualitative with a phenomenological research approach. The researchers interviewed two romantic couples, young adults who were active Instagram users - they log in daily and actively engage in the platform. This study has shown that Instagram has replaced Facebook as the 1st information seeking tool and as the main platform for doing initial approach before face-to-face interaction in young adults. The tangible difference lies in how the stranger gets acquittanced on Instagram at the initiating stage and how they show off their affection of ‘in relationship’ at the bonding stage. Further, the result has indicated that Instagram is the most common means of passive uncertainty reduction strategy at the initiating stage of relationship development, followed by interactive strategy and last is active strategy.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Antheunis, M. L., Valkenburg, P. M., & Peter, J. (2010). Getting acquainted through social network sites: Testing a model of online uncertainty reduction and social attraction.Computers in Human Behavior,26(1), 100-109.
- Baym, N. K. (2010). Personal connections in the digital age. Malden, MA: Polity Press.
- Creswell, J.W. (2014) Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, & Mixed Methods Approaches. 4thEdition. London: Sage.
- DeVito, J.A. (2014).Human Communication: The Basic Course.UK: Pearson Education
- Facebook Press Release (2015). Grow Up in a Visual World. [online] Available at: https://www.facebook.com/business/news/insights/growing-up-in-a-visual-world[Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- Farrugia, R. C. (2013). Facebook and relationships: A study of how social media use is affecting long-term relationships.
- Fox, J., & Anderegg, C. (2014). Romantic relationship stages and social networking sites: Uncertainty reduction strategies and perceived relational norms on Facebook.Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking,17(11), 685-691.
- Fox, J., & Warber, K. M. (2013). Romantic relationship development in the age of Facebook: An exploratory study of emerging adults' perceptions, motives, and behaviors.Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking,16(1), 3-7.
- Fox, J., Warber, K. M., & Makstaller, D. C. (2013). The role of Facebook in romantic relationship development: An exploration of Knapp’s relational stage model.Journal of Social and Personal Relationships,30(6), 771-794.
- Harappa Education (2019). Phenomenological Research: Methods and Examples September 2021. [online] Available at: https://harappa.education/harappa-diaries/phenomenological-research/[Accessed 12 Oct. 2021].
- Insider.com. (2017). Why I refuse to give my boyfriend my social media passwords.[online] Available at: https://www.insider.com/should-you-give-someone-your-social-media-passwords-2017-6 [Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- ASPIRATIONJournal Vol.2(2) November2021, p.124-148e-ISSN :2723-1461-147-
- Muise, A., Christofides, E., & Desmarais, S. (2009). More information than you ever wanted: Does Facebook bring out the green-eyed monster of jealousy?Cyberpsychology & Behavior,12(4), 441-444.
- Mukhlisiana, L. (2019). Urban Youngster Personal Branding through Instagram. International Journal of Multicultural and Multireligious Understanding, 6(7), 54-57.
- NapoleonCat. (2019). Facebook Users in Indonesia January 2019. [online] Available at: https://napoleoncat.com/stats/facebook-users-in-indonesia/2019/01/ [Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- NapoleonCat. (2019). Instagram Users in Indonesia February 2016. [online] Available at: https://napoleoncat.com/stats/instagram-users-in-indonesia/2019/02[Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- New York Times.com. (2012). Teenagers sharing password as show of affection.[online] Available at:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/us/teenagers-sharing-passwords-as-show-of-affection.html?pagewanted=all[Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- Putri, L. D., Andika, D., & Annisarizki. (2020). The Journalists Has Built Self Meaning: Spreading Hate Speech in Presidential Election 2019 in Banten. Aspiration Journal, 1(2), 182–207.
- Sharabi, L. L., & Dykstra-DeVette, T. A. (2019). From first email to first date: Strategies for initiating relationships in online dating.Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 0265407518822780.
- Smith, A., & Duggan, M. (2013). Online Dating & Relationships. Washington, D.C.: Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.
- Solomon, D. & Theiss, J. (2013). Interpersonal Communication: Putting Theory Into Practice. New York: Routledge
- Statista.com (2019).Distribution of Instagram users worldwide as of July 2019, by age and gender.[online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/248769/age-distribution-of-worldwide-instagram-users/ [Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- Statista.com (2019).Leading countries based on number of Instagram users as of July 2019 (in millions). [online] Available at: https://www.statista.com/statistics/578364/countries-with-most-instagram-users/ [Accessed 12 Oct. 2019].
- Van Ouytsel, J., Van Gool, E., Walrave, M., Ponnet, K., & Peeters, E. (2016). Exploring the role of social networking sites within adolescent romantic relationships and dating experiences.Computers in Human Behavior,55, 76-86.
- We are Social (2019). Digital in 2019. [online] Available at: https://wearesocial.com/global-digital-report-2019/ [Accessed 12 Oct. 2019
- West, R.L. & Turner, L.H. (2010). Introducing Communication Theory: Analysis and Application 4th Edition. McGraw-Hill.
- Yusriyah, K., Fatoni, A., & Mansyur, M. A. (2020). Communication Networks Analysis on Information Dissemination of the Moving of Capital City From Jakarta to East Kalimantan. Aspiration Journal.