This study aims to analyze the motives and typify of Youtuber Mobile Legend Bang Bang (MLBB). This study uses Alfred Schutz's theory of phenomenology with a constructivist paradigm and phenomenological methods. To collect data, it was done by interviewing 7 informants and observing the informants' YouTube channel. The results of the research and data analysis show that there are several "motives because" MLBB players become gaming youtubers driven by 2 things, namely hobbies or fun and having free time. Meanwhile, the "motive for" which was found was related to 3 things. First, it relates to the desire of MLBB players to share their knowledge and playing skills. Second, about the MLBB players that many people want to watch. Third, it relates to the desire of MLBB players who want to be recognized as great or professional in playing. Based on these motives, this study categorizes 3 types of YouTubers MLBB in forming their identity on YouTube, namely Casual YouTubers, Sharing YouTubers, and Achieved YouTubers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Aditya, P. (2017). Di Indonesia mobile legends dimainkan 8 juta pengguna aktif. https://kumparan.com/kumparantech/di-indonesia-mobile-legends-dimainkan-8-juta-pengguna-aktif.
- Bolander, B., & Locher, M. A. (2010). Constructing identity on facebook: Report on a pilot study. SPELL : Swiss Papers in English Language and Literature, 24, 165–187. https://doi.org/http://doi.org/10.5169/seals-131305
- Briandana, R., Fasta, F., Mihardja, E. J., & Qasem, A. (2021). Exploring Self Identity : An Analysis of Audience Reception of Vlogs Menyelidiki Identitas Diri : Analisis Penerimaan Khalayak Terhadap Konten Vlog. ASPIKOM, 6(2), 303–314. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.24329/aspikom.v6i2.921
- Chen, J.-L., & Dermawan, A. (2020). The Influence of YouTube Beauty Vloggers on Indonesian Consumers’ Purchase Intention of Local Cosmetic Products. International Journal of Business and Management, 15(5), 100–116.
- Cunningham, S., Craig, D., & Silver, J. (2016). YouTube, multichannel networks and the accelerated evolution of the new screen ecology. Convergence, 22(4), 376–391.
- Fauzi, E. P., Fasta, F., Nathan, R. J., & Jeong, S. W. (2020). Modern Muslimah in Media : a Study of Reception Analysis in “ Saliha ” Program on Net Tv. Aspiration, 1(November), 135–162.
- García-Rapp, F. (2016). The digital media phenomenon of YouTube beauty gurus: The case of Bubzbeauty. International Journal of Web Based Communities, 12(4), 360–375. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1504/IJWBC.2016.080810
- Grooten, J., & Kowert, R. (2021). Going beyond the game: Development of agmer identities within societal discourse and virtual spaces. The Journal of the Canadian Game Studies Association, 9(14), 70–87.
- Hidalgo-Mari, T., & Segarra-Saavedra, J. (2017). El fenómeno youtuber y su expansión transmedia. Análisis del empoderamiento juvenil en redes sociales. Fonseca Journal of Communication, 15(15), 43–56. https://doi.org/10.14201/fjc2017154356
- Holland, M. (2016). How YouTube Developed into a Successful Platform for User-Generated Content. Elon Journal of Undergraduate Research in Communications, 7, 1. https://doi.org/http://www.inquiriesjournal.com/a?id=1477
- Jerslev, A. (2016). In the time of the microcelebrity: Celebrification and the youtuber zoella. International Journal of Communication, 10, 5233–5251.
- Mulyana, A., Briandana, R., & Fauziah, E. (2020). Indonesian Beauty Vlogger: YouTube as Social Engineering Tools for Z Generations. In International Conference on Social and Political Science B-Space (pp. 108–114). Malang: EAI. https://doi.org/10.4108/eai.26-11-2019.2295172
- Neubauer, B. E., Witkop, C. T., & Varpio, L. (2019). How phenomenology can help us learn from the experiences of others. Perspectives on Medical Education, 8(2), 90–97. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s40037-019-0509-2
- Putra, A. M., & Febrina, A. (2019). Instagram and the phenomena of uploading children’s photos in social media (a phenomenology study). International Conference on Psychology and Communication 2018 (ICPC 2018). https://doi.org/https://dx.doi.org/10.2991/icpc-18.2019.14
- Sasongko, Y. P. D., & Marta, R. F. (2018). Ekspresi Identitas Melalui Relasi Ayah Dan Anak Pada Iklan Youtube Grab Official. Bricolage : Jurnal Magister Ilmu Komunikasi, 4(02), 118. https://doi.org/10.30813/bricolage.v4i02.1656
- Schutz, A. (1971). On phenomenology and social relation. Chicago: University Chicago Press.
- Spartz, J. T., Su, L. Y.-F., Griffin, R., Brossard, D., & Dunwoody, S. (2017). YouTube, social norms and perceived salience of climate change in the American mind. Environmental Communication, 11(1), 1–16.
- Yadlin-Segal, A. (2017). Constructing national identity online: The case study of #Iranjeans on twitter. International Journal of Communication, 11, 2760–2783.